For those with outdoor leadership responsibilities, such as river or climbing guides, summer camp counselors and others who facilitate remote-area recreation activities, training in wilderness emergency care is a must.
Wilderness first aid requires a different type of first aid training, one that takes into account such considerations as:
- Limited access to medical supplies
- Exposure to outdoor elements
- Extended response time for EMS and other professional help
One of the focal points of wilderness first aid is the need to provide extended medical care treatments. In addition to the immediate stabilizing treatments found in standard first aid training, additional care will be necessary over time.
An important part of preparing for an outdoor adventure is ensuring access to first aid supplies for group and individual use. For a quick look at what to consider when preparing first aid kits for wilderness use, check out our infographic.
For a comprehensive training experience in the lifesaving skills to use all those items in your kit and to manage an outdoor emergency, the updated ASHI Wilderness First Aid program is an ideal solution. This 16-hour program prepares camp counselors, trail guides and other outdoor enthusiasts how to respond with effective emergency care in the unique situations that wilderness environments create.
ASHI Wilderness First Aid Course Highlights
- Designed for individuals who are not healthcare providers or professional rescuers but desire or are required to be certified in wilderness first aid knowledge and skills
- Meets or exceeds the Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines, 2017 Edition
- Comprehensive student book and clear, concise course content
- 2-year certification
- Emphasis on hands-on skills and scenario practices
If you need wilderness emergency care training, let us help you find an ASHI Training Center near you. Just click the button at the end of this blog post to access our TC directory.
For our ASHI and MEDIC First Aid Training Centers and instructors, now is the ideal time to promote the ASHI Wilderness First Aid program to your customers. Sample pages, presentation preview and specification sheet for the program can be found here. For a sales flyer you can customize with your Training Center name and logo, log in to your TC portal, go to Documents, then Marketing Tools and select the ”ASHI Wilderness First Aid Form Field Flyer.”
Summer vacation season is right around the corner. Get prepared and get on out there!