To help you keep your family and friends safe over the holiday weekend, we're re-posting our blog about the best practices to follow when using fireworks.
Whether you’re the parent with a packet of sparklers for the kids or a dedicated enthusiast who stocks up on and enjoys some backyard fireworks every Fourth of July, it’s time for a reminder about how to stay safe when using fireworks.
Before heading into this weekend’s Independence Day festivities, please take a moment to review these helpful guidelines from the National Council on Fireworks Safety.
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trashcan away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, “240 people on average go the emergency room every day with fireworks-related injuries in the month around the July 4th holiday.” They’ve put together a helpful infographic that shows why caution should always be at the forefront when enjoying fireworks, either in the backyard or at your local community display.
Keep it safe this Independence Day!
Want more tips like this? Subscribe to our blog!
HSI offices and warehouse closed July 4, 2016
The HSI offices and warehouse will be closed Monday, July 4, 2016 for the Independence Day holiday. Customer service representatives will be available on Friday, July 1 to assist you at 800.447.3177 from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern Time. Any orders placed after 2 p.m., Eastern Time on July 1 will ship when our warehouse re-opens on Tuesday, July 5.
All of us at HSI wish you and your family a safe and enjoyable holiday.