We’ve come a long way from the days of the simple company first aid supply kit with a few aspirins and a bandage or two in it. Automated external defibrillators (AEDs), emergency oxygen, first response teams — what does YOUR company need to help provide a safe and healthy workplace that’s ready to respond in case of an emergency or injury?
The OSHA First Aid standard (29 CFR 1910.151) requires trained first aid providers at all workplaces of any size if there is no “infirmary, clinic, or hospital in near proximity to the workplace which is used for the treatment of all injured employees.”
OSHA provides a great publication for download that reviews some best practices their experts put together to help guide companies in creating that safe work environment.
The booklet lists relevant OSHA standards, regulations, and guidelines, and reviews the key elements of a workplace first aid plan. It offers some best practice recommendations, such as:
- Having trainees develop “hands-on” skills through the use of mannequins and partner practice
- Having appropriate first-aid supplies and equipment available
- Exposing trainees to acute injury and illness settings as well as to the appropriate response through the use of visual aids (or what we like to call “scenario-based training”)
- Including a course information resource for reference both during and after training
- Emphasizing skills training and confidence-building over classroom lectures
At ASHI and MEDIC First Aid, we couldn’t agree more. Hands-on training that provides real-life simulations, and retention/refresher tools to help students remember what they learned and give them the confidence to respond is at the heart of everything we do. Plus, our Otis administrative interface makes managing your program easy and automates many of those “must-do” tasks that help your program run smoothly.
If you are looking to implement an emergency care program in your workplace or want to beef up your existing one, give us a call at 800.447.3177 and speak with one of our ASHI and MEDIC First Aid experts.